My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Friday, January 23, 2009

Stretch it out!



Stretch It Out, Sheila!

I have pain in my left hip and low back. I just learned it’s my hip flexor and psoas muscles that are giving me a little trouble. I’ve this issue in the past. I was going to the chiropractor and massage therapist on the regular. The good news is that it’s not as bad as it was months ago. I think this area is just weak and not used to getting a good work out. I’m stretching but obviously not enough. I’ve been lazy about doing the Moon Salutation. I’ve been doing various poses and stretching. I haven’t been sore so I thought I was good in the stretching area. I take my time and stretch during the day, right before my walk, and immediately after. I’ve read that many underestimate. The importance of adequate stretching. I do not want to be in that category.

Today is an off day so I’ll focus on stretching. Oh, I also need to pay better attention to hydration.

I did a little review on the muscle anatomy last night. The major muscles used when walking are:


The muscles of the legs; the calves - gastrocnemius and soleus, and the upper leg-the quadriceps and hamstrings.
The muscles of the hips; the adductor and abductor muscles, the hip flexors, and the gluteals.
The core muscles; the rectus abdominus, obliques, and the spinal erectors.
The muscles of the upper extremities and shoulder; the biceps, the triceps, and the deltoids.


Source: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/stretches-walking.php

No comments:

Post a Comment