My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Saturday, July 3, 2010

7 Habits of Highly Effective Exercisers

I was fipping through the latest issue of Fitness and came across an article titled, 7 Habits of Highly Effective Exercisers. Since I’ve read the book, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, I stopped and read this article hoping I could find some motivation to get me through this recent rut. Here’s what I learned:

1. Don’t put away the gear

I’m guilty. I usually keep my BOSU or aerobic step in my office. I put these items away before I went into the hospital. I have a little meditation room off my office and my brother was staying there during my recovery. I never take these items out once my recovery was over.

2. Turn your commute into a workout

This one is kind of challenge for me because I work from home. I also live in the boonies so it’s not like I can walk to a store. I realize I have stopped walking around the block or two for a break throughout my day.

3. Invest in more workout clothes

I don’t necessarily need to do this. I do recognize that I have gotten out of the habit of dressing like I’m about to go to the gym. Working in my workout gear mentally prepares me for exercise at the end of my day. There are some days I decide to exercise during my lunch break.

4. Log your workouts online

Okay, I can do this. I will start doing this today.

5. Involve your causes

The author of the article explained how she used StickK to help her stay committed to her goal. If she didn’t, she had to donate money to the libray of a former president she didn’t like.

I already have something similar on my to do list. I am planning to participate in Purple Stride Atlanta in November in memory of my mother. It’s organized by the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.

6. Make friends with class regular

I already do this. I took a plus size yoga class sometime last year and began friends with the instructor. She’s no longer teaching the class but we do water aerobics together occasionally. I also have a good network of “friends” through blogs and Twitter.

7. Create an exercise contest

Well, I just create one of these for myself a few days ago. My goal is to exercise every day this month. Reaching my goal is prize enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these - I'll be making a note for the future. :o)

    ReplyDelete