My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Monday, November 25, 2013

Energems

I loved these things! It was like eating giant peanut M & Ms! I had my reservations about whether or not they’d work. A serving size, three pieces, is supposed to be the equivalent on one energy drink. In addition to caffeine (75 mg. per serving), they also contain B vitamins.

I’ve had a very unhealthy relationship with energy drinks--they’re packed with lots of sugar and caffeine. Yummy for my palate. Yucky for my health. When I read the part about being Energems like an energy drink, I thought, uh oh, this is not for me. Trigger alert!

Truthfully, I’m surprised a product like this would be in a weight loss box. I guess they’re marketed to people like me who like the rush of an energy drink but can’t afford all the extra calories. Each gem is 15 calories so that’s 45 calories a serving versus 200 - 250 calories per energy drink.

Anyhow, I decided to give them a try. I tried them right before a run. I think they gave me a nice boost. I tried them a second time before going to the gym to lift weights. I didn’t notice much difference. I’m saving the last serving.

Would I buy this product? No! It’s like eating candy and as recovering compulsive overeater I do not want to eat something that reminds me of candy. I could see how they would be good for someone running a marathon or something. They’d provide a great caffeine boost without drinking coffee (which could cause stomach distress) or a high-calorie energy drink. If (or when) I ever work my way up to running longer distances, I may give them a try again.

They’re $2.99 a box. Considering my favorite energy drinks are about $1.79 to $1.99 a can, they’re pretty economical.


No comments:

Post a Comment