My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Friday, January 27, 2012

Clean(er) Eating

Clean(er) Eating


One of my goals for 2012 is to adopt a clean(er) way of eating. I recently subscribed to Clean Eating magazine and received my first issue in the mail yesterday. I love that I am in the mindset of making lifestyle changes instead of trying to find a diet that works. I’ve learned a lot about my eating from being in Overeater’s Anonymous for over a year and a half. It still amazes me that I have not had any chips, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc. in over a year.
Anyhow, I was reading “What is Clean Eating?” in the magazine. This is what attracts me to adopting this into my food plan and lifestyle:

Clean Eating is about consuming food in its most natural state or as close to it as possible.

Some of this lifestyle’s approaches that I am learning are to:

-Drink at least two liters of water a day – this is still a challenge for me.
-Get label savvy -- I’m getting much better with this.

-Avoid processed and refined foods -- I’m doing great in this area. Now that I can make a connection between consuming these foods and what happens to my mental, spiritual, and physical state, it is becoming easier to make healthier choices.
-Know thy enemies – for me these are my trigger foods. The piece I discusses saturated and trans fats, anything fried and anything high in sugar. I’m good with the fat and sugar. Every once in a while, I want something fried like fish or French fries. Truthfully, I’m cool with having something fried every other month or so. We’ll see if that changes.

- Consume healthy fats -- I’ve been experimenting with this. I’ve recently purchased flaxseed oil and sesame oil.

-Learn about portion sizes—this is in perfect alignment with my OA food plan. There are days I resent having to measure my food but I know it’s for the best.
-Slow down and savor – for me, I will eat with mindfulness. There’s still a part of me that will be triggered if I get too much into the food. Eating is about nourishing my body, not soothing my emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment