My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Sunday, July 6, 2014

Peachtree Road Race: I did it!

I did it! 6.2 miles! What an emotional ride it was!

Once my wave gets to the starting line, I remind myself of my strategies and advice I’ve received to pace myself. Thankfully, it was a great day for a race in the ATL. It wasn’t that hot and there was a slight breeze.
Miles 1, 2, and 3 went like a breeze. I ran into trouble about halfway into mile 4 -- due to those darn water sprays! I was trying to get on the curb to avoid the water and accidentally stepped in a puddle of water. I was soooo upset! My right foot was soaked! It was all downhill, figuratively, after that. I tried changing my form a bit but that wet sock keep rubbing against my skin. I ended up walking across the finish line. At first I was a bit disappointed, but I decided I would be grateful that I finished.

The Peachtree Road Race has been on my fitness bucket list from day one. At the time, I thought it was a long shot. Today I am living proof that all it takes is one step, one day at a time. As I slowly walked to the finish line, I reflected on those times I could barely walk around the block. Now, there I was on a 6.2 mile course. Unbelievable!

This race is sooo much fun that you forget about time. I love all the cheering and I always stopped for the high fives and fist bumps from all the cute kids. As expected, Cardiac Hill is a very humbling experience. Even though it uphill, it's hospital row and there's the Shepherd Center that has spinal and brain injury patients sitting outside cheering you on.


Oh, I almost forget to mention one of the coolest parts of the race. At about 2.5 miles into my race, Meb (winner of the Boston Marathon) passed me. He started dead last and passed me! Unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment