My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Fitness is Learning - Mind Over Matter

MIND OVER MATTER


If you quit, you've let the matter defeat your mind. Km

According to Wikipedia, mind over matter is explained as followed:

Mind over matter is a phrase popularized during the 1960s and 1970s that was originally used in reference to paranormal phenomena, especially psychokinesis.[1] However, it has also been used in reference to mind-centric spiritual and philosophic doctrines such as responsibility assumption. It is the belief that the mind is more powerful than the body. Specifically, mind over matter refers to controlling pain that you may or may not be experiencing, such as holding your hand under extremely hot water and feeling no pain.

After reading through a few more sites on the philosophy of mind over matter, I ran across a blog entry by fitness guru Eugenie Jones. I like what she had to say about mind over matter in terms of fitness. Her discussion about self-defeating thoughts and other mental barriers really resonated with me. Attitude is everything. I can’t tell you how many times my mind was telling me something it didn’t think my body could do. I can’t tell you how many times my mind was wrong.

In fact, I have been using the mind over matter technique in other areas of my life. I meditate and pray on a daily basis. One of the exercises I have been doing lately is watching my thoughts. Observing the mind has allowed me to gain more control over my overall outlook on life. I’ve also found that it helps me with my eating habits. Just because I have a thought that I want to eat does not mean I have to act on that thought. I observe the thought coming from the mind and see it if it matches what is going on in my body. Often it’s just a thought that I can let pass away.

Soon I hope to begin training for a 5K. I can use the mind over matter technique to help me when I need to push myself and exceed the limitations of my mind. I want to make it clear that this doesn't mean that the mind can tell me I can run a half marathon with proper training. The technique is simply a tool I can use to help me achieve reasonable fitness goals.

Next on the list is powerlifting. This one should be fun. Lol!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea of the origins of mind over matter. Interesting stuff. How are you feeling? How is the healing process going? You are in my thoughts and prayers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete