My Intention is to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

Thank you for your support.


Saturday, May 8, 2010

Fitness is Learning --Powerlifting

Powerlifting


The most important thing I learned while researching powerlifting is that it’s completely different from bodybuilding. I had no idea.

According to Wikipedia, Powerlifting is a strength sport, consisting of three events: the bench press, the squat, and the deadlift.



I have to admit I feel I could really get into powerlifting. I, for one, enjoy lifting weights. I like lifting weights so much I purchased a weight bench for my home gym. One thing I notice when going to the gym is females, for the most part, avoid the weight machines. When I started working out with Kimberly, she gave me this long speech about not worrying about getting too muscular, that she wanted me to lift weights because it was going to help me burn fat. I told her she was wasting her time with the speech--I’m not afraid of weights or muscles. As I’ve mentioned in past entries, I love being able to see definition in my biceps and triceps.

In general, weight lifting has many benefits for women—including reducing the risk of Osteoporosis. In fact, my Endocrinologist loves the fact that I’ve been doing some strength training. She says weight lifting helps the body process glucose.

I like what one guy had to say about the psychological benefits of powerlifting. He discussed setting personal records. This benefit is very appropriate for budding athletes such as myself.

I enjoy looking back over my workout journal and seeing how I’ve progressed in reps or weight; it does wonders for my self-esteem and confidence.

During my research, I discovered that powerlifting is growing in popularity among women. I enjoy the bench press and the squat. I haven’t done the deadlift at all. Truthfully, it looks pretty intimidating. Once I’m healed and get my doctor’s approval, I’m going to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment